A visa of the Republic of Indonesia is issued in the form of a sheet of paper attached to a passport. The type of visa issued shall be based on the visa application. Visa application may be done by proxy, except for Diplomatic or Service Visa applications.
A visa application should be submitted to an Embassy or Consulate Office of the Republic of Indonesia or other social designated by Government of the Republic of Indonesia.
Visas shall be used within 90 (ninety) days, calculated from the date of issuance. Any foreign national who fails to use a visa within this designated period of time must submit a re-application for a new visa.
Competent Authorities and Officials
The Immigration Attache at an Embassy or Consular Office of the Republic of Indonesia or other designated official (hereinafter, Visa Officer) is authorized to issue or reject Diplomatic or Service Visa applications in accordance with the decision of the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
The Visa Officer is authorized to issue or refuse requests for Transit Visas, Visit Visas, and Limited Stay Visas in accordance with the decision of the Director General of Immigration on behalf of the Minister of Justice.
The Director General of Immigration may fully authorize the Visa Officer to issue or reject applications for Transit Visas or Visit Visas. The Visa Officers shall have the full authority to grant a visa to a foreign national who is in possession of a national passport or other valid travel document.
The visa officer, upon the approval of the Directorate General of Immigration, shall grant a visa to an individual not in possession of a national passport or other travel document (a stateless person).
Admission to Indonesia remains under the authority of the Immigration Officer at the port of entry.
For urgent cases, a Transit Visa or a Visit Visa may be issued at an Immigration Check Point.
General Visa Requirements
Visa applications should be submitted to the Visa Officer after filling out the required form.
A visa application should be submitted along with the following:
- a valid passport;
- a round trip or through-ticket to country of destination;
- 2 (two) photographs, size 4 x 6 cm;
- proof of written guarantee of possession of sufficient funds for living expenses during entire stay in Indonesia;
- payment of the visa fee.
The Approval of Visa Applications
A visa application shall be approved if the applicant:
- has fully complied with the requirements;
- has paid the visa fee;
- is not included on the blacklist.
The Rejection of Visa Applications
A visa application shall be rejected if the applicant:
- has not fully complied with the requirements;
- is included on the blacklist;
- can be included in any of the following categories, specified in Article 17 of Immigration Act No. 9 Year 1992 which include any foreign nationals who a) is known to be or suspected of being involved in international crime syndicate activities; b) has shown a hostile attitude toward the Government of Indonesia, or has taken actions which demean the name of the people and the country of Indonesia, in his/her own country or in any other country; c) is suspected of having committed actions in conflict with national security, public order, the morality, religious values, or the traditions or customs of the people of Indonesia; d) is under a request for extradition from another country, said person having tried to escape indictment or the execution of a punishment, having committed a criminal act which is also punishable according to Indonesian law; e) has previously been expelled from the territory of Indonesia; or f) has been found to be suffering from a mental illness or a contagious disease hazardous to public health; g) originates from a country which has no diplomatic relations with the Republic of Indonesia, unless otherwise established by Decision of the Minister of Justice.
The Finalization Process
The visa will be stamped or attached in a national passport, or a non-national passport, or a legal travel document.
All completed, original copies of visa application forms certified by the Visa Officer will be sent collectively on the same day to the Director General of Immigration.
The number and date of visa issuance will be entered on the visa application form. The visa shall be signed by the Visa Officer. The passport with the newly issued visa will be returned to applicant.
Under certain circumstances, visa appilcation can be arranged for in Indonesia by the sponsor of the applicant concerned. In such cases, the sponsor or proxy should appear in person at the Head Office of the Directorate General of Immigration to begin the processing of the visa application as follows:
- on behalf of the applicant, filling out and complete all visa requirements according to the type of visa, which includes a letter from the sponsor stating the purpose of the visit/invitation and a written statement guaranteeing the sponsor's taking responsibility for the applicant during his/her stay in Indonesia;
- submit the visa application to the Visa Section of the Directorate of Immigration Traffic.
In absence of any incriminating factors, the visa authorization for the applicant concerned shall be cabled, at the expense of the sponsor, to the overseas Visa Officer ath the Indonesian Embassy or Consular Office at the applicant's place of domicile.
The visa shall be administered by Visa Officer in the presence of the applicant concerned.